In December of 1531, Mary appeared to Juan Diego outside Mexico City and asked that a chapel be built on the grounds. Juan Diego’s bishop asked him for a sign to prove the message was from Mary. At the next apparition, Mary had Juan Diego fill his tunic with nearby roses that were unseasonably in bloom. When Juan Diego poured the roses out in front of the bishop, the image of Mary was imprinted on his tunic. The chapel stands to this day with the image on display for all to see!